Last week thousands of members and activists came together for our annual Party Conference in Birmingham.
Together we set out what we’re doing to offer the British people opportunity for the future, announcing that we’re:
- Freezing fuel duty again – putting money in the pockets of hard-working people.
- Launching a new Cancer Strategy as part of our long-term plan for the NHS, speeding up diagnosis and saving lives.
- Scrapping the cap on how much councils can borrow against their assets to fund new developments, getting them building more homes again.
- Raising stamp duty for house buyers who don’t live in the UK – and using the money to end the scourge of rough sleeping.
- Banning employers from taking a cut of workers’ tips – we don’t think that’s fair, so we’re putting a stop to it.
- Extending civil partnerships – so that all couples, whether same-sex or opposite-sex, are given the same choices in life.
- Introducing a new, skills-based immigration system based on people’s skills, not where they come from – and ending free movement from the EU.
And on Wednesday, the Prime Minister Theresa May outlined her vision to deliver what people voted for at the referendum, build a country that works for everyone, and extend opportunity to all.
This is a moment of opportunity. Motivated by our enduring principles of security, freedom and opportunity – we can offer the decent, moderate, patriotic government this country needs.
Rt Hon Brandon Lewis MP, Chairman of the Conservative Party